Saturday 23 February 2013

Fourth Time's a Charm?

You all already know what happened, but let's go back in time for a second and do some build up.

In 2003, I departed to university with this beast:

Or something along those lines... I don't actually remember the model, but it was a huge Dell Laptop that I had no desire to cart to class.  I think it also had a hefty price tag since it was loaded with everything that you could get in 2003.  DVD burner anyone?  Honestly, I don't know why I thought I needed that stuff.

Then one day while doing who knows what at my desk, I dumped a bottle of Diet Coke on that sucker.   Luckily it dried up, got all fixed, and lived a decent life when I wasn't yelling profanities at it for being huge and clunky and slow.

When I left for physio school, I decided to upgrade with my first Mac.  The very stylish black Macbook that was just a little bit better than the white ones, but not quite as expensive as the Pros at that point.


Picture this:  It's May 2-4 weekend and the library is closed because, well, it's a long weekend for 90% of everyone else in Canada, but not for us poor physio kids.  I was working away at my dining room table on my large cumulative project (change of environment?) with a nice cold glass of water instead of my normal bottle.  You know what happened.  Luckily, she revived herself and was good to go.  (Though I needed a new logic board a little later but it ended up being covered).

Until 6 months later when my screen started acting up.  I took it into Apple and they said to replace the hard drive (which I paid for since it was out of warranty by this point).  It didn't work.  I took it back in and then they told me that it was the logic board (again) and that it was due to water damage.  Conceding defeat, I ended up with a Macbook Pro.

I loved my Pro and treated her well.  She was just over 3 years old when I royally effed her up yesterday.


I had a bottle of acu disinfectant in my bag to take to work and my Mac.... I noticed halfway that my leg felt odd but didn't think anything of it until I got to work and tried to figure out why my leg was soaked.  Took a sec and then.... oh noooooooo.   The bottle had completely dumped in my bag which meant that my laptop (which was on) had been sitting in basically water for at least 5 minutes.

 I knew from the moment I picked her up and water poured out she was dead.  But Greg took her apart and let her dry in front of a fan over night.  We tried to turn her on this morning but no luck.  You could see what was corroded.  It just wasn't worth the salvage.

R.I.P. Pretty Macbook Pro.  I love you.

On to the new 13" Retina Display Macbook Pro.  There was a debate of which model I was going to get... but as soon as I saw this one I couldn't go back to the standard Pro.


She's just so light, and is so much smaller than my previous computer.  On top of all that, the new OS is a lot of fun to play with.

Pip approves.


I'll be back soon with a Get Real Food Challenge Vlog!


No comments:

Post a Comment